Variables are key components of your Flows. As a Flow grows and develops, you will frequently need to locate your variables and keep track of their usage.
This article shows how to use the Solution Explorer to easily find specific variables and see where they are used in the Flow:
- Understanding the Variables Tab
- Filtering the Variables List
- Searching for Variables
- Viewing Variable Usage
Understanding the Variables Tab
The Variables tab of the Solution Explorer lists all the variables that are available for use in your Flow, in alphabetical order. The icon on the far left side of each row indicates the type involved (text, number, etc.). For details about the icons of each type, click here.
The colored icon immediately to the left of the variable name shows whether the variable is a User variable or a System variable:
- User variable: Created in the Designer for an individual Flow.
- System variable: Created in the Admin Console and available for all Flows. For more information, refer to Understanding System Variables.
- Environment variable: A special type of system variable available for Multi Environment accounts only.
User and System variables are listed in separate sections of the Variables tab.
When you hover over a row, the following additional icons appear to the right of the variable name:
|Lists the Flow elements that use the variable. For details, refer to Viewing Variable Usage (below).|
|Opens the Variable Editor, where you can view and update the variable's properties.|
|Deletes the variable. This icon is available for User variables only. Variables that are being used in the Flow cannot be deleted.|
Filtering the Variables List
By default, the Variables list shows all variables of all types. The Filter tool lets you control the Variables list display by specifying the types of variables that you want to show and hide.
To filter the Variables list:
- At the top of the Variables list, click . The Filter By is displayed.
- Select the checkboxes of the variable types that you want to show in the Variables list, and clear the checkboxes of the types you want to hide.
- Click Done. The Variables list is filtered according to the selected types. In the following example, the Variables list is filtered for User variables of type Text and Number.
Searching for Variables
If you know the name of the variable you are looking for, you can enter the name (or part of the name) in the Search a Variable field at the top of the Variables list. As you type, the Variables list is automatically filtered according to the search term. For example:
Viewing Variable Usage
Once you have found the relevant variable in the Variables tab, click the Usage icon to see a list of the Flow elements that use the variable.
To view variable usage:
- Open the Variables tab and search for the required variable.
- Click .
If the variable is not currently being used in the Flow, a message is displayed:
If the variable is in use, a list of the elements using it appears:
- To locate an element in a Flow Map, click the element name.
The selected element is highlighted in yellow.