An IA Domain is always associated with a specific Workspace in Watson. Example domain names include "Travel" or "Billing Support". You can add multiple Domains in your Account.
Once the IA Domain is added to your account, you can view and synchronize its settings and components (i.e., Dialog Nodes and Entities) with Watson using the Admin Console. However, NLP components are always maintained directly in Watson.
Note: The Intelligent Assistant must be enabled for your account in order to work with an IA Domain. For details, click here.
Adding an IA Domain
You add an IA Domain after its Workspace has been configured (usually by the Account Admin) in the Watson NLP engine for your account.
Note: To support work on a Multi Environment platform, after creating a Domain you need to deploy your Environment (e.g., from Dev to Test or Test to Prod) and provide the Workspace ID for the relevant Watson Workspace in each active Environment. You may also need to perform a sync to ensure that all NLP components are current.
- From the Admin Console Intelligent Assistant menu, select Domains. The Account Domains page will be displayed.
- Click Add New Domain. The IA Domain settings will be displayed:
- Enter a unique name for the IA Domain in the Domain Name field. In most cases, you'll want a Domain Name to be identical to the name of its associated Workspace in Watson. However, it does not need to match the Workspace name.
The name can contain: A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and _ (underscore) characters.
- In the Workspace ID field, enter the Workspace ID that was provided by Watson for the Workspace that will be associated with this IA Domain. (You can copy and paste this randomly-generated string directly from Watson's Deploy page for the Workspace.)
- In the User Name field, enter the Username that was provided by Watson for the current Service. (You can copy and paste this string directly from Watson's Deploy page for the Workspace.)
- In the Password field, enter the Password that was provided by Watson for the current Service. (You can copy and paste this string directly from Watson's Deploy page for the Workspace.)
- When you are finished adding values, click Save in the lower right corner of the panel. You can exit the operation at anytime without saving the new Domain by clicking Cancel.
- Before you can start using this IA Domain, you must synchronize the Domain data in Interact with its corresponding data in the NLP engine by clicking on Sync, as described in the next section.
Syncing an IA Domain
All IA Domain data is maintained and managed in the Watson NLP engine at all times. To ensure that the Domain data is completely matched and up-to-date with its associated Watson data, manual synchronization is needed.
Note: Currently the IA synchronizes only those Dialog Nodes which have been assigned names.
A sync is required when a new IA Domain is created. Syncs are also performed manually in order to integrate any changes you make to the NLP engine data. To perform a sync:
- Select the IA Domain that you want to synchronize.
- Click the Sync button:
The IA Domain will be synchronized with its corresponding Workspace in Watson.
A spinner is displayed while the sync operation is being performed. The length of time it takes to complete the sync depends on the number of components as well as the amount of data maintained by the corresponding Workspace.
- When the sync is finished, a completion popup is displayed with details on which IA Domain components have been affected and how they were changed, as shown below:
When a sync operation is only partially successful, a message will display which IA Domain components failed to synchronize and also provide some details on the reason(s) for the failure.Note: The sync operation always analyzes and synchronizes data for all Dialog Nodes and Entities of the IA Domain, no matter where you have clicked the sync button.
- After a sync is performed successfully, the Last sync time field is updated to reflect the precise time and date of the sync.
Deleting an IA Domain
When you delete an IA Domain, you are not deleting its corresponding Workspace or any data that is maintained in the Watson NLP engine.
Note: In order to also delete Enum variables which have been associated with an IA Domain, you need to remove all references to these variables from Interact elements before deleting the Domain.
You can delete an IA Domain at any time using the Delete button:
- Select and display the IA Domain that you want to delete.
- Click Delete .
A warning message will be displayed.
- Click Delete Domain. The selected IA Domain will be deleted and a completion message will be displayed.